Crafty as a Serpent

A knit blog with recipes and theological musings interspersed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Maine, United States

Abby d'Ambruoso is a Lutheran pastor and interfaith chaplain, currently serving in a variety of ministries in Portland, Maine.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Planting

On Monday, I spent some good time out in the Peace garden here, weeding. I gardened with Judy, who went to the Yarn Harlot event with me, and with her friend Sveya, who is a master gardener. We did excellent work.

That got me thinking about the vegetable garden in the back of the yard. No one has done anything with it for a long time, so today I went to Phoenix Foods, our local food co-op and purchased some High Mowing Seeds. I bought seeds for a gourmet lettuce mix, arugula, carrots, sugar snap peas, and shell peas. I'm pretty excited, even though we won't be eating any of this until at least mid-June. Oh, well. Here's hoping they grow really fast!

I didn't plant all the seeds I bought. Really, who ever does? But I will plant again in two weeks so that the harvest continues. We won't necessarily be here to enjoy the yield of all the work we do this year, but that's kind of like paying it forward.

In knitting news, I'm working on 4 projects. I'm working on a pair of Dulaan socks, out of Dale Baby Ull. They're yellow, and will have blue toes.

I'm continuing on Sarah and Bruce's big afghan (the Lily Chin reversible cable afghan).

I'm working on the first sock of green alpaca in the Zokni pattern. Beautiful.

And I've cast on for my first sweater- again. I knit a full sweater and then hated it enough to frog the whole damn thing. And so I did. And now I'm knitting it again, now that I am a wiser knitter. I am to the waist on the back. We'll see how long it takes me.

And I have purchased the yarn for my Sock Pal's socks (due in August). I haven't decided on a pattern yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

Just stopping by to say hi to fellow Sockapaloozers! My goal is to visit every blog on the list at least once. You seem to have a lot of interesting knitting adventures!

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Thanks for your comments! I found the Zokni pattern online, and it is gorgeous! Adding to my dilemma.....

On the other hand, it seems that the Snowflake Lace pattern is popular, so I'm pretty much decided on that one. Thanks!

I think it's wonderful that you have someone to garden with! That must make it extra fun. I don't really have much space to garden in, but my landlord is going to let me build a small raised bed out front. Just enough, I think, to grow some herbs. My vegetables, I'm going to get by volunteering at a local CSA this year. Good luck with the peas; may they grow quickly and plentifully.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home