Crafty as a Serpent

A knit blog with recipes and theological musings interspersed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Maine, United States

Abby d'Ambruoso is a Lutheran pastor and interfaith chaplain, currently serving in a variety of ministries in Portland, Maine.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cabin Cove Knitalong update (and confession)

A while back I signed up for the "Shut up and knit your cabin cove". It refers to the beautiful yarn of Cabin Cove Mercantile. If you have not yet knit with this yarn, you are in for a treat. April of the Weaving Inn gave me some (I won a contest on her blog. I love April.) It is luscious yarn. It is silk and merino and a creamy color. I love it. And I was saving it for a long time because, well, you know, it was fun to pet it now and again.

But I know it will be even better as socks.

The thing is that I chose an easy lace pattern for socks (from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush, which I love also). It is the Child's First Sock, which has been adjusted for adult feet. But I wasn't sure if I would have enough. So I knit the first sock according to the pattern so I would be sure to have enough yarn.

I began on the second sock and knit all the way to the toe. It is now clear that there is plenty of yarn for both socks to be knit to my feet size, but I had already cast off the first sock. So I thought, "Well, no need to be greedy. Just give these to your sister (who is pregnant and deserves happy and pampered feet). You can always get more yarn." I even tried to tell myself that the color is not quite right for me. It goes with hardly anything in my closet anyway, right.

But I just can't bear to part with these socks. The yarn is so soft, and I'm so attached to it.

And so when I got to the toe of the second sock, I knit it to be my size. Sadly, something was going wrong at the toe. I would have weird numbers of stitches. I ripped back and knit- different number of stitches. Twice I did this. And then...

The last week of March, I was going on a week-long trip to California. I decided not to bring the socks (even though I would be seeing afore-mentioned sister) but to let them sit on the yarn bureau to think about what they had done.

Then I got home, having begun another pair of socks (for Will), which I'm now on the second sock for. It was Holy Week and the Yarn Harlot came to Ann Arbor, and I was busy. But now I'm starting to wonder- should the Cabin Cove socks be for me, or my sister?

You decide- leave me a comment, and I'll tally them up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cookie said...

There you are! :D

I think you should keep them and make your sister her own pair. You can think lovely happy thoughts while you knit them for her. This pair in question could even be your 'trail' pair if need be. ;^)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what Cookie said. I say to keep them because they have good memories of April, and you love the yarn.

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Hi! I'm a cabincove-alonger, too and came over here from the knitalong blog.

I think you should keep the socks. You like them so much and you put so much work into them, you should keep. Pamper yourself! You can always make another pair for your sister like Cookie said.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home