Crafty as a Serpent

A knit blog with recipes and theological musings interspersed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Maine, United States

Abby d'Ambruoso is a Lutheran pastor and interfaith chaplain, currently serving in a variety of ministries in Portland, Maine.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Gee's Bend Quilts and Suppenkuche

Last night was my last "ladies night" with my seminary women. And man, did we have a good time. Now, before you go thinking that we were out clubbing (not that some seminarians aren't all about that), think how San Francisco is hosting the Gee's Bend quilts.

Recently, Brynne of All This By Hand went to see the quilts when they were in Houston. She reminded me of these quilts which have been inspiring me for the last year. I have a stack of worn out corduroy pants and jeans to prove it (They're in my fabric stash now). You see, these quilts are not just the same patterns you have always seen (as gorgeous as they may be). Think crazy quilt and modern art and you will begin to imagine these quilts. The women of Gee's Bend used whatever material they had to hand and didn't use templates to make each quilt square the same. Rather, they started sewing things together in vibrant colors and using old work clothes and flour sacks. The quilts are beyond amazing.

Last night, I invited my friends Melissa and Sara to come see the quilts with me. We went out to the de Young Museum, which is in Golden Gate Park. Last year when I worked at UCSF as a chaplain, I would look out onto Golden Gate Park while I scrubbed into the Neonatal ICU on the top floor. You could see the de Young from there, as well as the Conservatory of Flowers. And I always meant to go, but I was so damned tired that whole summer. And so I finally went last night.

We had a wonderful time. We went after hours, so admission was cheap. We didn't have access to the collection but just to the traveling exhibits. But we got to see the quilts, which is what I really wanted to see.

Afterward, we went down to the Civic Center area and had dinner at Suppenkuche. It was loud, but the food was tasty. We ate sauerbraten, red cabbage, and spaetzle as well as amazing squash soup. Also, trout with this incredible cream sauce. Really, it was out of this world good. It made me want to ask my sister for our Oma's sauerbraten recipe.

I loved my evening with friends.

In other news, I have an FO- a felted bag that was commissioned by a woman I know. She saw my huge felted bag and wanted one herself. So I knit it this summer. It was crazy to knit a huge bag out of wool in the summertime, but I had to do it before I left. If I can find someone with a digital camera to lend me, I'll put a pic up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home